The 2016-2017 Saint Louis Poetry Slam season begins September 26th. Cash prize is $50 and is for first place only; however, the top three poets UrbArts slams will advance to semifinals. Poets are expected to follow Poetry Slam, Inc rules and performances are audience judged. There will be 14 poetry slams that will be open to all poets this season from September 2016 through June 2017. As introduced last season, we will host three semifinal bouts where winning slammers will be eligible to compete for the 2018 St. Louis team during the final week of June in 2017. Poets who have represented St. Louis on previous teams will be eligible for semifinals by simply competing in any of the 14 bouts, regardless of their final rank in that bout.
Semifinals will take place in June 2017 at Venice Cafe on June 26th, Mushuggah Cafe on June 28th, and Legacy Bar & Grill on June 30th. The top three poets will advance from each semifinal to compete in the final also known as Final Stage, totaling 9 finalists. Final Stage will be held at UrbArts on Saturday, July 9th. The UrbSlam champion will represent St. Louis at the Individual World Poetry Slam (IWPS) in October. The top four poets will be the 2018 St. Louis Poetry Slam team and will serve in that capacity from September 2017 to August 2018. They will represent the region in the fall during a major “Win and Your In” in bout as well as touring venues in the Greater St. Louis area, Brick City Poetry Festival (October 2017), Southern Fried Poetry Slam (June 2018) and National Poetry Slam (August 2018).
The SlamMaster is MK Stallings. He also serves as the host of the St. Louis Poetry Slam. Learn more about the history of poetry slam in St. Louis here.
Notes for this season based on FAQ:
- Poets are allowed to repeat their works throughout the season.
- The Winner of the WoWPS qualifier will be eligible to compete in the semifinals.
Below are the semifinalists as of March 12, 2017:
- RC, 1st place at Venice Cafe on Sept 26, 2016
- Sidney Rehg, 1st place at Legacy on Sept 30, 2016 & Venice Cafe on Oct 24, 2016
- UnspoKen, 1st place at Meshuggah Cafe on Oct 26, 2016
- Truth, 1st place at Legacy on Oct 28, 2016
- Sahara Sista SOLS, 1st place at Venice Cafe on Nov 21, 2016
- Dominic Pioter, 1st place Meshuggah Cafe on Nov 23, 2016
- JayLuvve, 1st place at Legacy on Nov 25, 2016
- Kira, 1st place at Palomino Lounge on Dec 22, 2016
- King, 1st Place at Legacy Bar & Grill on Jan 27, 2017
- Faith She’nee, 2nd place at UrbArts on March 12, 2017
Slam Schedule Preliminary Bouts for 2016-2017: #1-#14
Venice Cafe, Sept 26, 2016 Legacy Bar & Grill, Sept 30, 2016 Venice Cafe, Oct 24, 2016 Meshuggah Cafe, Oct 26, 2016 Legacy Bar & Grill, Oct 28, 2016 Venice Cafe, Nov 21, 2016 Meshuggah Cafe, Nov 23, 2016 Legacy Bar & Grill, Nov 25, 2016 Dec 21, 2016 @ Meshuggah Cafe, 8:30 pm Jan 27, 2017 @ Legacy Bar & Grill, 9:00 pm Mar 12, 2017 @ UrbArts, 7:00 pm (6:00 pm workshop), Rustbelt Qualifier
- April 9, 2017 @ UrbArts, 7:00 pm (6:00 pm workshop)
- May 14, 2017 @ UrbArts, 7:00 pm (6:00 pm workshop)
- June 11, 2017 @ UrbArts, 7:00 pm (6:00 pm workshop)
Semifinal Schedule (Only semifinalists can compete. Top 3 advance to Finals from each bout)
- June 26, 2017 @ Venice Cafe, 8:30 pm
- June 28, 2017 @ Meshuggah Cafe, 7:00 pm
- June 30, 2017 @ Legacy Bar & Grill, 9:00 pm
- July 9, 2017 @ UrbArts, 7:00 pm