The St. Louis Poetry Slam wrapped up its 19th season with a slam at UrbArts last night. With the July 9th grand slam looming, some familiar faces qualified but it’s likely that new voices will represent the region in 2018. The top five poets will be on the next slam team for St. Louis with the winning poet representing St. Louis at the Individual World Poetry Slam in October.
Below are the finalists. The Dept of UrbSLAM will host a last chance slam at Legacy Bar & Grill on June 30th. The grand slam will be Sunday, July 9th at 7:00 pm at UrbArts in Old North St. Louis.
- RC, 1st place at Venice Cafe on Sept 26, 2016
- Sidney Rehg, 1st place at Legacy on Sept 30, 2016 & Venice Cafe on Oct 24, 2016
- UnspoKen, 1st place at Meshuggah Cafe on Oct 26, 2016
- Truth, 1st place at Legacy on Oct 28, 2016
- Sahara Sista SOLS, 1st place at Venice Cafe on Nov 21, 2016
- Dominic Pioter, 1st place Meshuggah Cafe on Nov 23, 2016
- JayLuvve, 1st place at Legacy on Nov 25, 2016
- Sunni Hutton, 1st place at Venice Cafe, Dec 19th, 2016
- Kira, 1st place at Palomino Lounge on Dec 22, 2016
- King, 1st Place at Legacy Bar & Grill on Jan 27, 2017
- Faith She’nee, 2nd place at UrbArts on March 12, 2017
- Greg the Poet, 1st place at UrbArts on June 11, 2017
- Bisa Adero, 2nd place at UrbArts on June 11, 2017
- Emmy, 3rd place at UrbArts on June 11, 2017
The 20th season of the St. Louis Poetry SLAM will kickoff Thursday, September 21st, 7 pm at UrbArts.